Friday, September 22, 2017

St. Anthony's Church (Padua Dining Room) Reflection 2 (Vida)

Vida Saffari
September 18th, September 21st, and September 22nd 2017, 10am-11:30am
St. Anthony's Padua Dining Room
Bob Dehn
Supervisor Contact Information: paduadiningroom@gmail.com or 650-365-9664 

I really enjoyed my last 3 visits at St. Anthony's Padua Dining Room and I am very sad that my PACT project has come to an end!

During these last three visits, I did similar activities such as doing work in the kitchen, serving food, and helping organize boxes of necessities. I also helped package lunch boxes that these low income families could take to their homes. These lunch boxes would provide them with food for the next couple days. I really liked how such a simple idea could be so impactful on these individual’s lives. For instance, if a parent was working that entire week and didn’t have enough time to prepare food for their children, these foods could make life much easier on them.

By serving food, I was able to build relationships with the people, especially the ones who came in regularly. One interaction that really stuck to me was one with a teenage girl. She was extremely friendly and kind. She asked me about school and where I attend high school. When I told her that I attended Menlo School, she mentioned that that was one of her top choices for high school and that she would be applying next year. For over 10 minutes we talked and established a really strong connection. Her love of learning and education was extremely inspiring. Despite the challenging times her and her family were facing, she still had so many goals and aspirations. Her determination was uplifting and moving. I am really glad that I met her! 


My service at St. Anthony’s Padua Dining Room made me realize how important volunteering is. I loved helping out the other volunteers and becoming a part of their community. It made me smile to see older men and women working there and taking time out of their days to make an impact on the world. I will definitely volunteer at St. Anthony’s again and would recommend it for anyone looking for volunteering opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment